Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Spooniness in Full Force

I first wrote this post in April of 2009. I never posted it, but I think today might be a good time, especially considering today's other post. Please bear with me.

I was reading an interview with my high school theater teacher the other day, and I have a few fall-out thoughts from the interview and my theater teacher's beliefs I would like to share. Not only is my former teacher a Shakespearean actor, he is also a poet and very interested in Keats. He comes from the similar Judeo-Christian background that I do, but he has adapted some of our common beliefs to suit his own purposes. In doing so, he has only expanded the scope and realm of those beliefs. If you want to know more about what I’m talking about, check the interview out for yourself here.

He talks about inspiration. Other authors have discussed how inspiration, how genius, is something more along the demons, a thing that comes and goes. I agree more with Mr. Tanner; it is not a demon that visits us, but inspiration is rather a conduit that can be opened directly to God.

"Pillars of Creation" - Hubble images
Naturally, I desire to open this conduit. It seems like with many things, however, that it is not to be, try as might. As Mr. Tanner indicates, most people never reach this state. Only after much skill has been acquired, only after much suffering for the sake of craft, only after utter mastery can the craftsmen and craftswomen let go of their training, become vulnerable, open themselves up to God, and become artists. They walk into the dark. This darkness is the light of illumination, of inspiration. We have to lose ourselves in order to find what is bigger than ourselves.

I do not think I have a lack of desire. As I am right now, I lack skill, mastery, and patience, but I know that if I desire this thing to be and put in all my effort, my God will take care of my inadequacies. The following is a poem where I try and overcome my inadequacies, where I try and practice resisting those deficiencies.

“The Violet Hulled Ship”
Elizabeth Lain

My body lies curled around a
rock like a pillow,
naked and waiting.
A straight vine-line cracks my head,
fractures with images of matchmakers
Oozing onto the cement, playing
their game in amber tones.
The line is heavy, the air is old.

Where I am, it shall not be there also
on this empty shore bereft of all
but the vine-line.

My vision fades, into nothing but
the gray on this abysmal handmade shore.
My heart lacks the pulsing fire, it
has not yet been on the pyre. The refiner,
the purifier’s tinctures will remain unscathing. The heart
made of hardened, hand-packed ash cannot rest
in tomes of flesh or flames of respiration.

I lie curled on this shore, waiting for
the ship with the violet hull
which will never come
to bring to life the small violet buds
of the vine-line.

For the violet-hulled ship has already passed,
lingering no longer amidst
a forlorn and forgotten body that cannot
capture the capability.
Nails grate against the cement,
scraping, perfect points of tendon’s tension,
of bone striving against muscle, of dust against rock.
The ship does not return.

Somewhere, beyond the line and empty shore, two
violet orchids wrap around a fractured ivory skull,
kissing it in the darkness.

"Krakatau and Driftwood" - Unknown

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful poem! You have a wonderful command of imagery and form.

    It also for some reason reminds me of this song by The Magnetic Fields (from their new album):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=now3r0KQKz0

    I also think artistic genius/inspiration varies from person to person. Sometimes it can be the product of hard work and discipline, but sometimes it just sort of bubbles up from within someone, like a reflex. For some it cannot be controlled or even channelled -- they are themselves the conduit through which creative force manifests itself and they can have little say in what it accomplishes. I think that's why some (like, say, Ginsberg) go overboard with that whole "First Thought, Best Thought" approach while others over-emphasize discipline and effort.

    ReplyDelete