Monday, July 12, 2010

Quotidian Updates

I finished The Book of Lost Things yesterday. Although the beginning had great promise, it was not the perfect book I wanted it to be. It was full of too many tropes and predictable turns. Nevertheless I found it surprisingly poignant because of its themes on childhood, adulthood, and mortality. I rate it good, and an important book for me to have read at this point in my life, but not a great novel which will change the very fabric of my thought. 

It seems that few things these days will monumentally change me nowadays. I am left clinging to the books and music I discovered two, three, five years ago.

Take a message to her head,
Just stay beside her in the bed,
You were so stupid to believe in things
You couldn't see, then make them
All you want...

It makes it all withdraw
All the anger and loss
But it all keeps
Coming back
In the morning

Today, it’s on to Terry Pratchett’s Color of Magic. The reading is denser than in The Book of Lost Things, so I actually have to pay attention - yay! I don’t expect The Color of Magic to take a long time, so I am willing to hear suggestions on what I should get for my next book. That is, if anyone is willing to comment on these posts. J&J's Bookstore has a pretty good collection of classic English literature, so I may start there.

If you didn’t already know, Spain won the World Cup. Madrid’s Metro strike is also over.

I am also learning Spanish, and I can speak better! I’m beginning to be marginally conversant! Whoo!

Lyrics from "On Any Sunday Morning" by Counting Crows. Also, Coyote, I expect you to comment on this post.


Curl - Matt Duffin

1 comment:

  1. You know me so well!

    I actually gave a fairly detailed response to both books in the post where you discuss buying them. I recommend several books there - but if you can find them I also recommend "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman (my favorite author - the book is better if you've read Kipling though), "Handling the Undead" by John Ajvide Lindqvist, "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis, "An Artist of the Floating World" and "The Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro, "Momo" (aka: "The Men in Grey") by Michael Ende, "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers, Lloyd Alexander's "Prydain" books, "One For The Morning Glory" by John Barnes...

    ReplyDelete