Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dreams Do Come True!

Okay, that last post was rather a downer. I've been doing that lately. I had forgotten that I had written this one up. After writing it, I didn't post it because I didn't want to appear too obsessed with writing and posting every day.

Anyway... I was browsing through my old posts, and I found a list of things I wanted to do with my life, posted January 11, 2009. This post was from over a year ago, and it’s interesting to take a moment and take stock of where I was, where I am now, and what I have done in the space between those times. In looking ahead to this summer, I realize that I have indeed fulfilled some of those things, but not in the way I expected. I’m going to study abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland, so check that off the list. I wanted to live in Australia; now I’m going to live for three months in Spain. They’re completely different countries, I know, but they’re still abroad countries. I wanted to learn how to fend for myself abroad, and I'm getting to do it. With this internship in Spain, I’m getting closer to my dream of writing and working for a publishing company, as well as gaining valuable skills in a small startup business. I’ve also read seven of Shakespeare’s thirty-seven plays this semester. I’ve read – or seen – more of his plays than I had thought, although I have left his histories largely untouched. Hey, I’ve even found this site which lets me take a better look at the Sistine Chapel than I ever could have while being in the Chapel itself, ironically enough.

So I may have overstated how much I have accomplished on that list, but I still feel like I’m well on my way in this adventure of ours called life.

Detail from Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel

2 comments:

  1. Either way, it sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you. :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_r1Npsv5I

    I am so happy for you, Liz! You're going to have an amazing Summer, Autumn and Winter!

    ReplyDelete