Friday, June 4, 2010

Behind the Door

(wrote this yesterday, too lazy to post)

This morning, I dreamed I was back home in my dark, cavernous living room that really wasn’t mine. Since this is a dream, anything goes, though. An acquaintance’s sister had died, and many of my friends and acquaintances from college made cameos in my dream to support this acquaintance. The acquaintance’s boyfriend was there, too, a golden-haired Adonis whom I had never before met. We were in the cavernous living room when all of a sudden we decided to split into groups. I stayed in the living room and watched as a friend of mine gave my mother a back massage – weird, I know – and then all of a sudden we were in a grotto rather than a living room. Sunlight and plants streamed down from above, and there was a knock at the door.

I did not get to see who was behind the door because the knock was across my unconscious and conscious self. The daughter was at my door, knocking. It was 10 a.m. already, and we were supposed to go to the temple. The shades over my window were still drawn and the room still dark, but it was already bright and sunny – and warm – out. Boy, had I overslept.

So instead of going to the temple, we went to the distribution center and purchased a Book of Mormon in Spanish, and then the daughter and I were off to Peurta del Sol for some tourist action. Since I didn’t know what I was doing and had forgotten my handy little tourist book, we wandered about for a while. Actually, I was perfectly content to do this, although that quickly turned into a version of “what do you want to do now?” and “I don’t know. What do you want to do?” We stayed out until about 2 p.m., when the sun hit. For the past several days, I have been indoors from the hours of 1-4, and for very good reason. Indeed, it does get hot here, and there is very little air conditioning. When the old roomie Fiona told me that Madrid is hot and loud, I suppose that, in comparison to other European cities I have been to, it is true. Madrid has no big rivers and is landlocked, which accounts for how hot and dry it gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment