Thursday, September 20, 2012

Let Me Tell You What to Do...

I had already booted down my computer for the night when I remembered a request from earlier in the day by my sister, K. She "demanded" a new blog post, sending her request with a smiley face. There must be something in the airwaves, because I almost wrote a blog post last night.

Over the summer, I've written a number of Poe,s, and I'm preparing to send some to various publications. I haven't read many poetry or literary magazines, and I need to be familiar with the magazines I send these little pieces of my creative self to. So that's been my task the last week, and I found this little gem of a repository of travel poetry and prose last night. Go ahead, click the link.

I've already sent one poem out to egg poetry, an unassuming site that sends you one thoughtful poem each Tuesday. I signed up for it with my tongue somewhat in my cheek, thinking I would at best delete the weekly missive with all of the other junk mail of invitations for singles-only Hawaiian cruises, reminders of the pitiful state of our economy, and notifications of how long I have to get 30 days free of _________ (insert your own annoying spammer! My favorites include: Premium Spotify, Premium LinkedIn, and memberships to Gold's Gym). At worst, I would unsubscribe and make a clean break of it.

Well, I got my first poem, "Fresh Air and Ritual". It was intriguing, funny, fresh. I found myself looking forward to opening my email in the morning, and I was most delighted when the next week came and I got my second poem. It wasn't quite as good as the first poem -- it seems like nothing ever is as good the second time -- and I found myself drumming the keys the following Tuesday, vearly mormimg, annoyed that Egg hadn't sent me my poem promptly. Their poem. Our collected poem, because by the time a poem gets from the author to a distributor to a reader, isn't it all of ours? Anyway, it has become one of the few emails I receive that I actually check. Barring emails from friends and family members (do people still send emails to friends and family?), it's the only email I consistently check.

How about that for something new?

Soon-to-be-poetry. I may have also used this image before.

And if you know of any good literary magazines that accept poetry -- barring something like Poetry, which is too fancy for me just yet -- please do let me know.

Bring on the suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment