Saturday, September 22, 2012

Adventures in Planting: Loquats Return!

If the title didn't give it away, I'm going to be talking about loquats! Do you remember about four months ago, when I first wrote about planting them? Well, they sprouted about mid-August. After about a month, when I woefully mentioned the fact they had not sprouted to my mother, she told me here was still a chance but not to get my hopes up. Oh ye of little faith. Three of them have peeked their little heads up, and they are most beautiful and glorious.

It liiiiiiiiiiiives!

And as it turns out, loquats are quite hardy. I've neglected them more than a plant-parent should, leaving them in the sun and watering them every other day, if I can even remember that. I do make up for it, though, because when I water them I tell them how much I love them (and I mean what I say; that's the important part of raising a plant, I think). If we eat any fruit, I'll bury the skins or rinds in the potting soil. I think my lavishments makes a difference, but then again loquats do really well in southern California, which is 1) very sunny and 2) not the moistest place. So perhaps my success in gardening is more an act of serendipity than any actual skill on my part, but I will enjoy my accomplishments nonetheless.

What's more impressive is the fact that two of my loquats were successfully transplanted into a second pot. And they're not dead yet! At least they don't look it. The first sprout is about 4.5", and the other two hovering around 3"; "teh interwebs" suggest not transplanting loquats until they're 7", but I couldn't wait.


Not dead yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment